The battle of An-Nasiriyah

We arrived at Nasiriyah at roughly the same time that the Americans arrived. We came in from the north, while they came in from the south. We slipped into the town shortly before the Americans started to encircle it, and contacted the guard that were in control the city. We were given rations, electricity to recharge batteries, clean clothes, and ear plugs and a bed in a bunker.

When I woke up, it was pitch dark, and there was the muffled booming from above that indicated that we were being attacked. I groped around, found a torch, and switched it on. The bunker was completely empty. I dressed up, grabbed my gear walked up the stairs. As I walked, my boots stuck to the ground - I shone my torchlight downwards, and saw that the ground was splotched with blood.

I came out of the bunker, and the building over the bunker was a burnt out shell. A soldier gestured from across the road. I ducked and ran across the road and joined the other soliders, who were aiming their rifles up the road. On inquiry, I learnt that the Americans had tried to enter the town, and had bombed a number of buildings. The building above the bunker had caught fire, and they had forgotten all about me. I was not pleased to hear that, but hey, they had things on their minds.

I started radioing my team, and 10 minutes later, we were gathered together in a trench, and formulating a plan. Our mission was not in Nasiriyah, but further on down. We had to get to the Americans at Basrah. The problem now was that Americans were surrounding our town, and with their helicopters, it would be difficult to get out of the town with vehicles. They were bombing everything mechanised that moved. So we made a plan.

We told the Iraqis to gradually cease fire, making it seem like the resistance was dying down. We placed a number of troops in two buildings, and told them to keep firing steadily. Pretty soon, as we expected, the Americans blew up both buildings. Our 'resistance had been crushed'. 2 hours later, American tanks and armoured carrriers rolled into the town, with troops running behind them.

When they were in the middle of the town, we sent two guards to surrender to them. They approached, and as the Americans reached to disarm them, the guard shot the commander. Immediately, all the americans focused on them, and literarily gunned them to shreds. Brave matyrs, those men were.

Immediately their attention was diverted, we ran towards them with grenades, and threw them below the tanks and personel carriers. From above, the guards opened machine gun fire, and threw molotov cocktails. The American troops ran and died, and lost about 30 of their vehicles in the town. As they ran, we pulled together the Iraqi army, and fought them back out of the town. They called for backup and the copters that were hovering came to the south suburb of the town, leaving the east relatively unprotected. My crew picked up a couple of jeeps, and an American humvee, and drove out at high speed, exchanging fire with the occaional company, but easily making it out.

We drove about 20 kilometers east, then started driving back southwards, passing through small Iraqi towns. The townspeople came to wave at us, the men who would sacrifice them to save them from the aggressors who wish to invade and occupy Iraq and steal its wealth.

After about 50 kilometers, we saw an American vehicle parked in the middle of the road. Some personel was working on it, changing a tire, I think. We immediately dropped into formation, and started firing and advancing. The fired back, and a battled raged for about 15 minutes. They did not have arial backup, and they were fighting against a really crack team. Soon, about half of their number were dead, and the other half were either wounded or sitting on the ground with their hands in the air.

We went towards them, mindfull of an ambush. Sure enough, as we reached, a soldier shot at our legs from underneat the van, and splinterred the ankle of Rahimi. As he howled in pain, We shoved our guns under neat the car, and let lose a barrage. Because of his massive armour, he was still able to sent lose another shot, which luckily did not hit anyone. He died soon, and we dragged him out and dumped him behind the truck.

"Let the vultures eat him", a comrade said. We packed the other prisoners on a jeep, and drove quickly towards south. In the next town, we contacted Iraqi guards, handed over the prisoners, and let the wounded man be sent up to control for treatment.

Then we continued southwards, having lost a man, but having gained valueable experience about how the Americans fight. We are still crawling downwards through the bad roads, hoping to hit a highway soon. I'm checking up on radio intercepts, which are being done by non-gov organisations, and which we paid for, and are receiving. Sat pictures are harder to get, but occasionally, they land in my email box. The internet is winning this war for us, I'd almost say.