7/25/2004

Country roads

Rain splattered on the car, mud sprung from the roads and hit my windshield. The wipers scrunched and squealed as they fought against the downpour. Occasionally, bright lights of other cars appeared in the windshield, creating many pinpoints of stars along the water droplets clinging on the windshield.

I hardly noticed all that, I was talking to Laura. Laura was a hitch-hiker I had picked up about 50 miles back at a crossroads. She was from france, she was tanned, she had an infectious and loud laugh; she was one of those girls that you feel you would do anything for.

Keith Urban was playing in the radio. Slow country songs about lost love, sad banjo strumming about being lost.

Well, I don't know why I came here tonight,
I got the feeling that something ain't right
Yes, I'm stuck in the middle with you
And I'm wonderin' what it is I should do

It's so hard to keep this smile from my face
Losin' control, yeah, I'm all over the place
Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right
Here I am stuck in the middle with you


The rain enclosed me and Laura in that small car, the music crafted an atmosphere you could feel, the warmth in the car made it a home. Outside the car, everyone was hunting for me. Outside the car, men in black suits and hats were standing in a line; each of those men had a gun buried somewhere within his clothes, and if I walked where they could see, I'd be ripped to shreds by their combined gunpower.

So I flung myself into the moment, I let my problems go and I spoke to Laura with controlled abandon, I opened my soul to her. She must have felt it, because she replied in kind, and soon it was like we had always know each other. We liked Paris, we liked travel, we liked lemon juice, we liked country music.

Maybe it was the moment, maybe it was the stress, maybe it was something else, but I felt something I have not felt for a woman in a long time. That french accent mixed with the southern twang, the small dimples when she smiled, her way of touching my arm all combined together and became a mighty sledgehammer of affection that procceeded to crush my reason.

I told her who I was and what I had done. She asked me to stop, bundled her things together and stepped out into the teardrops from the sky, illuminated only by the sad smile of the moon. I drove on down those country roads, and realised that they would never take me home.

11 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I've said it before, come to Virginia, I'll put you up.

4:29 PM  
Blogger John said...

Man, that is a bit risky, is it not? Right now, there is a separation between what I write an reality - nobody that reads the things I do can identify me.

If I come to see you, I would be allowing you to know everything about me, and if you decided to call the cops or something, I'd be lost.

12:35 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I know that! but anyone who can write stories like you, I've just got to meet. Maybe i can get your autograph! Well what about it? Don't be so selfish. Not everyone, (well,not me) would run and call the cops. Afterall, if you were arrested, the stories would stop, so, you see I definately would not turn you in.

8:52 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You guessed wrong, i am not male, the commments i place reflects the mood i'm in when i read your stories. You can't figure people out as good as you think! Do i need counseling?

9:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

So you don't live in our world, and you play in yours. but, where do you get these ideas from? O.K. you are not in touch with reality, but who is? The stories keep me reading, because they are interesting and change from day to day. Also, everyone who reads this blog, knows they are make believe, like you.
from "you guessed wrong"

9:16 AM  
Blogger John said...

What do you mean about me not being in reality? I'm as real as you are, my experiences are as real as yours. I would like to meet you, I generally like meeting new people, and maybe on my next trip I can meet up if we happen to be in the same area ;)

3:41 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'll be ready, I like meeting new people also. As far as you being in "reality" we'll leave that open to debate, until we do meet. Otherwise, you are probably a hacker. Oh, by the way, if i though your experiences were real, and you a real mercernary, I wouldn't dare make you mad.
u guessed wrong;)
Do I annoy you?
I'm trying real hard.

1:12 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

SFC again Johnny, why don't you come see me and my friends :)

9:07 PM  
Blogger John said...

Of course not, you don't annoy me :) Your commentry is interesting.

12:57 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks;)

12:48 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

When is your next story comming out?
U:)

7:28 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home