7/17/2004

Guns & Sunglasses

Colonel Jacob called me this morning. His voice was hoarse, and he sounded harder and little bit changed. Maybe prison has changed him.

3 hours later, I was sitting in an ice café, watching children kiting and sticking my tongue into a vanilla and chocolate coned ice. I like the mix; it is my small contribution towards racial tolerance.

A black jeep Grand Cherokee stopped in front of me, and obscured my view. The car wasraised from the ground, just a little bit tipped towards the front, and it looked menacing. The low growl of the engine switched off, and the door swung open. A dark green military boot came out,
followed by a large man with a hard face in a Hawaii shirt. Colonel Jacob, the man who had time for everyone, even though he controlled half the security services in southern Africa.

“Roger”, Isaid, stood up and grabbed his hand. “Johnny boy”, he smiled and pumped my hand. When he was done, I had keys in my hand.

“The car is yours, you’ll need it.”

I smiledand thanked him. After some mild pleasantries, we got down to business. I had sent him an email about a job, and he had told me he had one available. And he proceeded to tell me even more.

It is a job in America this time. I expressed surprise, because so far as I knew, Jacob had never done any job in America. Times are changing, he told me. People are no longer fighting here in Africa, they seem to be settling down, and after the fiasco in Congo, tactics have to change.

He gave me the details about the job in America. I bought him an ice cream, and drove off in the Cherokee. Through the rear view mirror, I saw him enter a car that had been parked in front of the café all the while I had been there. I continued, and drove the car to the airport. I handed
it over to some guy, who apparently was expecting it.

Then I went and bought myself 5 pairs of suits, went home, picked up my toothbrush, had a
bath, and then went to the airport.

I’m sitting in the airplane right now, heading towards America. I’m wearing a suit, my guns
are in the Jeep, and my sunglasses are in my pocket.
I can select the songs on the seat. I’m
playing “I feel good”, by James Brown.


8 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

John, you've always been in the States, have you not?

6:32 PM  
Blogger John said...

No, I live in South Africa and have a house in France I also stay in. I used to live in the states from when I started college till a few years after that, and left in 2001. This is the first time I've come back since then.

4:20 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Will. when and if. you come to the states, I want to be the first to meet the famous psychologist, ok

11:19 AM  
Blogger John said...

Hmm, when I come for pleasure, you can meet me. Right now it would be a bit risky on my part...

4:43 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

O.K. when the time is right, but one thing bothers me. When you said "come for pleasure", unless you are gay, am I male or female? After all, I'm the one who posts most of the comments on your blog. I've read your diaries on K5, also. Thats what keeps me posting. Now you are the one with a college degree, who can figure things out about people, which am I?
Male or Female

6:59 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Whats wrong John, can you not come up with an answer for this one?

1:45 PM  
Blogger John said...

Hey anon, it took me a while to get to this post, sorry about that. I'd say you were male if I had to guess.

3:23 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

hey i would like to work as a mercenary how do i do this? i have infantry and combat medic experience.

1:12 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home