7/13/2004

A small rough diamond

I have this little diamond that I carry around sometimes. I do not wear it, no, I've never worn jewelry, I just carry it loosely in my pocket. It was the diamond I wanted to have cut to give to, and marry the girl I was in love with.

I had been in the diamond mines of Angola at the time, working in security. I got a diamond from one of the workers, who had probably smuggled it in his through the control posts. It was rough and uncut, but one could see that it was a good one, it shone with a special clarity.

I bought it on a whim, and decided that since I had bought it already, I might as well get it cut into a ring. And once I had a ring, I might as well just marry the girl.

After a few weeks, I came home to South Africa, and called up Katie. She did not reply. I called several times, and she didn't reply. After a few days, she sent me a text message saying that she had met someone else, and that she was sorry.

There is no moral to this story, there is no poetic justice, there is no grand ending. In real life, stories do not end on a grand note, they finish with a whimper.

Life writes the beginning of the story, and you make the ending. If I had taken a gun and shot Katie, it would have been a terrible act, but a good story. If I'd have bothered to find out who the man that stole her was, there might have been something interesting there that would make the story interesting.

You see, the stories that life provides us with are like this small diamond - rough, uncut and unspectacular. You decide what decisions you will make, and you can always decide to make the diamond into a jewel.

The story about Katie is not over, life has written the beginning, and I shall finish it up.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

One question? Are you going to kill her, kidnap her,or what, be sure to make it interesting for me, OK.

2:46 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Damn man, you never cease to amaze me. I've followed your posts on k5 for some time now. Your writing style is great. Keep it up.

5:08 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home