1/27/2005

The vulture

I was in my bed yesterday morning when my telephone rang. Before it rang, my primary feeling was one of desperation. I was bored and tired of guarding banks, and I absolutely hated the endless waiting, with nothing happening. There was so much private work I also had to do and all this work was not getting done. I was drying up, my energy was sipping away, and my life evaporating into nothingnes.

I picked up the phone, and heard the clipped Afrikaans accent. You have been invited to the Presidential office. Please appear properly dressed to meet the president.

I dropped the phone, and lay in my bed for a few moments. I stood up and got under the shower. I brushed my teeth, and only then did it begin to strike me that something was going to change in my life. A meeting with the President. I wondered what I had done right.

I stood in the waiting room, in a crowd of about 10 men. A good number were police officers, some in uniform, some in plain clothes. You could tell from their judging eyes that they were men of the law.

The vulture was also in the crowd, but I did not acknowledge him. Professor Steyn, tall, thin, trembling lips, a large nose and a stare like a vulture makes as it circles around the corpse, and waits for the humans to go before disturbing it. He was a pathologist, well known because he worked in the field also, and not just in the hospital. I had met him before, and we were not the best of friends. He looked across at me, I saw from the corner of my eye. He did not acknowledge me either.

The door opened and we were ushered into a large office. Thabo Mbeki was sitting, and waited for us to file in. Then he stood up, came across and shook our hands. He greeted everybody by their names. When he came to me, he said „John Ben-Younes“. I replied „Mr. President“. Okay, there is something a bit goosebump inducing about a president speaking to you like he knew you.

Then we all sat down, and he proceeded to tell us what he called us in for.

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yeh, I can tell your "sipping" away, with some of these misspelled words. Here's the remedy, take two weeks off, lying on the beach somewhere, drinking mixed drinks. You'll feel like a new man in no time.
Tell me if it works.
Your friend
ygw

10:30 PM  
Blogger John said...

Hey, sorry for the mistakes.

8:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Accepted, now get back to writing. I'm not being bossy, I'm eagerly awaiting the next story.

1:14 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Update this blog, at one time it used to be somewhat regular. Anymore it's when the notion strikes. Keep it up, or shut it down. I'm tired of waiting.
ygw
Melissa

9:59 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Help me Dude, I think I'm lost.

I was searching for Elvis and somehow ended up in your blog, but you know I'm sure I saw him in a car lot yesterday, which is really strange because the last time I saw him was in the supermarket.

No honest really, he was right there in front of me, next to the steaks singing "Love me Tender".

He said to me (his lip was only slightly curled) "Boy, you need to get yourself a shiny, new lcd tv to go with that blue suede sofa of yours.

But Elvis said I, In the Ghetto nobody has a lcd tv .

Dude I'm All Shook Up said Elvis. I think I'll have me another cheeseburger.

Then I'm gonna go round and see Michael Jackson and we're gonna watch that waaaay cool surfing scene in Apocalypse Now on the lcdtv in the back of my Hummer.

And then he just walked out of the supermarket singing. . .

"You give me love and consolation,
You give me strength to carry on "

Strange day or what? :-)

12:58 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

GROW IT YOURSELF!

4:44 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home